DIY: Bunny Straws & 1st blog giveaway
As promised yesterday, I’m back with the tutorial for the cute bunny straws. They’re the perfect addition for any easter table. You can use them as straws, glue them onto placecards or simply sprinkle them over the table. And the best thing about them? They’re quick and easy to make.
If you’d like to find out how you can get the chance to win a special easter surprise, I suggest you hop on down.
- sheets of colored paper
- x-acto knife and cutting mat
- the bunny template (A4 pdf) (US letter pdf)
- black marker
- glue stick (optional)
- straws (optional)
1. Print out the template onto your colored paper. The more colors, the more fun (and the more bunnies)! I’ve provided pdfs with 6 big and 12 small bunnies both for A4 and US letter sizes. If you want them a different size, simply grab the bunny on the right and print in desired size.
2. Grab your scissors and cut out all those bunnies and eggs. For a more finished look, draw around the cut edges with a black marker. Then lay out the bunnies and give each a differently colored egg.
3. We’re ready for the arms. Get your x-acto knife and grab a bunny. Place the egg above the bunny and mark the four places where you have to cut. (See the red darts.) I usually just poke the bunny with the tip of my x-acto knife.
4. Cut along the arms from where you’ve marked your bunny.
5. Now wiggle the egg under the arms and you’re done with the basic steps. This is what your bunny should look like now:
If you don’t want to use the bunny for the straws, you’re done now. Go let your bunnies hop around. You might want to glue down the egg with your glue stick. I found that mine hold their eggs quite well, so I skipped that step.
6. To pass the straw through the bunny, make two horizontal slits about 0.5 inches (1.3 cm) long as shown.
7.Now gently slide the straw through the two slits. You might want to press the bottom of the straw flat to make it pass through a little easier.
8. To hide the hole in the bunny, wiggle the egg under the arms in front of the straw. And you’re done!
You can even have fun customizing the bunnies. I made my boy a special debian geek bunny:
Now on to the giveaway. I’ll be sending one reader a special easter surprise. Who doesn’t love surprises? To enter, all you have to do is tell me your favourite holiday in the comments to this post. Entries end March 31st, 23:59. The winner will be chosen randomly and announced on Thursday. Make sure you leave your e-mail so I can contact you.
The giveaway is now closed. Thanks everybody for participating!